Am I entitled to Parental Leave?
Employees will be eligible to take parental leave if:
- They have 12 months continuous service with one or more NHS employers;
- They have a nominated caring responsibility for a child under age 18;
- They notify their employer in writing three weeks in advance of the intended leave (or if this is not possible, as soon as is reasonably practicable thereafter) and include their intention to take parental leave; the date they wish to commence and return from parental leave; Provide evidence of entitlement;
- A birth certificate (or MATB1 form in the case of applications for leave around the time of birth of the child);
- Papers confirming the adoption of a child (or confirming that a child has been matched for adoption in the case of applications for leave around the time of adoption of the child);
- Papers confirming the award of disability living allowance in the case of a child with a disability.
Paid Parental Leave - must be taken before the child’s 14th birthday (or 18th birthday in the case of adoptive parents or parents of a child with a disability).
Unpaid Parental Leave - can be taken before the child's 18th birthday.