Are there limits to how many hours I can drive?
Driving hours of goods vehicles over 3.5 tonnes and some passenger vehicles are regulated by European Community rules. These set limits on driver's hours
- daily driving limit: 9 hours*
- maximum driving limit: 4 ½ hours
- daily rest period: 11 hours
- weekly driving limit: 56 hours
- fortnightly driving limit: 90 hours
- weekly rest period: 45 consecutive hours.*
*The rules on drivers' hours and tachographs for passenger carrying vehicles and goods vehicles differ. The Department for Transport provides advice for drivers and operators of passenger vehicles on all aspects of drivers' hours rules in the UK and Europe.